The onset of the global Coronavirus pandemic in early 2020 uprooted business as usual and challenged corporations to operate under entirely new circumstances. Some survived the impact of this shift in operations; others did not. As it turns out, a flexible business model that provides customers a safer, more convenient way to operate has been the key to staying afloat during the pandemic. That’s why My Eyelab is a recession-resistant Business.
How My Eyelab Weathered the Early Storm
As with every industry, My Eyelab franchisees took swift measures to ensure the safety of employees and customers. Stores have remained open, but with reduced hours for the first few months. Upon entering, store employees adhere to several safety measures:
- Employees are provided and wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) the entire time they are in the store
- Patients are given a pre-screening questionnaire before entering
- Temperature check using a touchless forehead/temporal artery thermometer
- Strict capacity rules to keep employees and patients within safe social distancing proximity or a maximum of 10 people, and extra cleaning precautions
- Increased cleaning and sanitation of our frames, exam equipment, furniture, and all high-traffic areas before and after every patient, and before opening and after closing
- Customers are asked to wear a mask when visiting for the protection of other customers and our staff
We continue to actively monitor every development from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other state and federal agencies to take the needed immediate action for your safety.
Telehealth is Key for Safer Interaction
Because we offer telehealth in-store eye exams with no doctor-to-patient contact, we were able to do what nobody was able to do – remain open. So, how does telehealth work? The process includes:
A technician takes digital photos of the front of the patient’s eye, retinal images, a screening for glaucoma as well as additional tests
- Acuities and Refraction Exam
The technician then escorts the patient to a private, sanitized examination room for an Acuities and Refraction Exam to test for their prescription. The test is performed virtually via video-screen.
- Customized Eye Care Treatment Plan
The remote Ophthalmologist (MD) or Optometrist then creates the patient’s customized eye care treatment plan and prescription and emails it to the technician on-site.
No Contact, No Problem!
Offering exceptional customer service is always at the forefront of our mission to make eye care easy. Besides offering telehealth eye exams, we also adapted to the customer’s need for no-contact pick up of glasses. Customers are now able to utilize curbside pickup, drive thru pickup and home delivery as a way of obtaining their new glasses and/or contacts.
My Eyelab Essential Business
A franchise that can stand the test of time is rare. My Eyelab has the innovative technology and processes in place to provide the community with exceptional eye care even during a pandemic. Dallas-based Franchisee Yousuf Ali has seen tremendous success during the pandemic by carefully following CDC guidelines as well as utilizing our telehealth technology. “We’ve seen a 25 percent profit over our normal business pre-COVID, and that’s over the chain’s 165 stores.” Ali, who does not come from an optical background, plans to open more My Eyelab stores in the Dallas area.
Operate your own recession-resistant franchise! Contact us today for more information on becoming a franchisee!